Sunday, March 13, 2016

ECSE340 Week 3

The intervention session with the baby went so great! We worked on the only thing he fell behind in on the ages and stages questionnaire which was gross motor skills: tummy time. I used a variety of ways to help him get used to tummy time and actually like it! I started by having him lay on a soft blanket and I used a black and white patterned paper to gain his attention and distract from the hard time on his tummy. He loved it and did a lot better than I thought! He was able to lay on his stomach that time for 2 minutes and 40 seconds. We gave him a break and then a few minutes later we tried again using a mirror instead, and he absolutely hated it! I can't tell if it's because of the mirror or if it's because it was the second try and he was worn out from the first try. He only lasted 1 minute. After another break we tried again on the boppy his mom had, and he loved it! It was so fun, he was smiling and happy and it was awesome to see the mom discover something that had worked for him and something that had made him so happy. He lasted for 3 and a half minutes on the boppy. I left her with the black and white patterened paper and recommendations like having his older siblings lay with him and play with him, lay him on his tummy for 1-2 minutes after feedings, diaper changes, and naps, and lots of time on the boppy! I'm excited to keep working with him and see if he will be able to achieve the goal I've set for him, which I know he will be able to!

No comments:

Post a Comment